[luau] Sparc 20 upgrade time

Ben Beeson beesond001 at hawaii.rr.com
Wed Dec 4 00:26:01 PST 2002

Dusty,

	Right now it will be a 'smart terminal' on my home LAN.   I have another box
with some good toys on it, and soemtimes more than one of us wants on it...
In the future it may turn into a file server of some sort, or a firewall +
router, or even a network backup device.  I short, I have some hardware and I
want to tinker with it and learn how to do things that I can't do right now
without risking trashing the box we use every day.

	Since I am needing ssh because I have disabled a bunch of stuff on my other
boxes, I am needing to make the switch. (The partial RH 6.1 does not have
ssh, and it is too much trouble to cross -compile.)

	I am open to a different OS, OpenBSD might be just what I need if I can get
X and ssh and a few other gadgets with it.  I've heard lots good about it.  I
was also thinking about Debian Linux or the Aurora distro.  I haven't decided
which way to go yet and I am not sure how mature the Aurora distro is -- will
it install fairly easily???

	As far as the CDROM goes, I don't have a scsi one yet, but every other box
on the LAN has a CD drive.  If I could only figure out how to make one of
those CDROM drives visible, perhaps I could do a network install after I get
soem disks from somewhere.

	Maybe Santa will bring me a DVD/CD burner that I can use.....

Thanks for your thoughts,

Ben