[luau] Sparc 20 upgrade time

Vince Hoang luau at ml.altern8.net
Wed Dec 4 06:50:01 PST 2002

On Wed, Dec 04, 2002 at 12:27:55AM -1000, Ben Beeson wrote:
>  Since I am needing ssh because I have disabled a bunch of
> stuff on my other boxes, I am needing to make the switch. (The
> partial RH 6.1 does not have ssh, and it is too much trouble
> to cross -compile.)

I think I would /dev/null any freenix that does not ship with
ssh. Even commercial OSes, like Solaris, ship with openssh these
days.

>  I am open to a different OS, OpenBSD might be just what I need
> if I can get X and ssh and a few other gadgets with it. I've
> heard lots good about it. I was also thinking about Debian
> Linux or the Aurora distro. I haven't decided which way to go
> yet and I am not sure how mature the Aurora distro is -- will
> it install fairly easily???

Although some people use OpenBSD has desktops, you are probably
better off using another distribution if you want to use XFree86.
With poor video performance, I do not even bother with any
display support on sparc. Their serial console is infinitely more
fun and useful. That has only been problematic when trying to
install Oracle directly onto the machine due to the java-based
univiseral installer.

>  As far as the CDROM goes, I don't have a scsi one yet, but
> every other box on the LAN has a CD drive. If I could only
> figure out how to make one of those CDROM drives visible,
> perhaps I could do a network install after I get soem disks
> from somewhere.

If you cannot use a floppy or attach external media to the
sparc20, you will probably have to boot net from obp. I still
have an external scsi cdrom around for this specific purpose.

-Vince