[luau] PowerPoint Alternative

Elayne Man elayne at sent.com
Sun Aug 25 16:01:01 PDT 2002

On Wed, 21 Aug 2002 08:08:48 -1000, "W. Wayne Liauh"
<LiauhW001 at hawaii.rr.com> said:
> That Linux would boot up OK, but then lost its screen
> when it went into the X graphic mode.
>
> Now I come to think about this.  Perhaps what happened was that I was
> running
> 1028x768 mode but the projector only accepted 800x600.

Wayne-

Did changing your resolution fix that problem?  If not, (depending on
your laptop) it might have been that the CRT/LCD button wasn't pressed.
 It should be one of the "Function" keys on your laptop that you have
to press in conjunction with the "Fn" key.  (For my laptop I have to
press Fn + F8)

When you activate that CRT/LCD button, there are 3 different modes.
(You change modes by pressing that combination of keys until you hit
the mode you want... for my Dell laptop anyway.)  The first mode is a
display signal going only to your LCD screen on your laptop and no
signal going out of the VGA port, which is what your laptop might have
been doing.   The second mode is a signal going out of the VGA port,
but the LCD screen is completely blank.  The third mode is having both
LCD & CRT signals on.  I use the third one because I want to see what
slide I'm at, and not have to look at the projector screen.  Trying
testing this function out with a VGA monitor hooked up to your laptop.

I apologize if you knew this CRT/LCD thing beforehand.

A little something not directly related to this:  I'm dual booting
Linux & Windows ME on this laptop.  On Friday, I had a last-minute
presentation to give, but realized that A) I don't have MS PowerPoint
and B) I could not install PowerPoint because I left my CD-drive at
home.   So I was running around like a chicken without its head, trying
to share Office 2000 over our network in order to install it onto my
laptop.  Then it suddenly hit me:  I have StarOffice!!  So that really
saved my butt, and the presentation came out great.  (Phew!) :]

Elayne Man
Mililani High School
elayne at sent.com