[luau] RH 7.2 vs. 7.3 questions

Ho'ala Greevy hoala at secretbonus.com
Mon Aug 19 21:35:00 PDT 2002

Having worked for an email firm for several years in the Bay Area during the
dot com explosion/implosion, it is my firm conviction that qmail is the best
MTA out there.  Secure, stable, hi-performance, and very scalable.  To get a
feeling for the power of qmail, consider these factoids:
While Sendmail plods through a list of recipients delivering one message at
a time, qmail spawns 20 or more deliviries at a time.  And b/c qmail's
processes are much smaller than Sendmail's, it can do more work faster, with
fewer system resources.  Further, Sendmail can lose messages in some of its
delivery modes if the system crashes at the wrong time.  For reliability,
speed, and simplicity, qmail has one crash-proof delivery mode.  Even if the
system loses power with undelivered messages in the queue, once power is
restored and the system is restarted, qmail will pick up where it left off
without losing a single message.  qmail guarantees that once it accepts a
message, it won't be lost, barring catasrophic hardware failure.

Furthermore, in 1997 qmail creator Dan Bernstein offered $500 to the first
person who could find a security bug in qmail.  As of today, August 2002,
the offer still stands.

The August version of KRUD 7.3 is available for $7, while a year
subscription will run you $65.  It's a steal:  you get monthly errata
updates + an assortment of bonux packages that one would usually install by
hand anyway (http://www.tummy.com/krud/index_html/body/packages).  And no,
they don't pay me to say that.  I just like the product :)

hope that helps,
Ho'ala