[luau] RH 7.2 vs. 7.3 questions

Ray Strode halfline at hawaii.rr.com
Mon Aug 19 21:28:00 PDT 2002

>1) Is it worth going out and buying the boxed RH7.3 set, or is it cheaper
>to just burn a copy of RH7.3 and buy the yearly subscription? Is there any
>difference? The demo software doesn't really interest me that much, and I
>the included docs the last time didn't seem that different from the
>previous version.
>
>Should I buy 7.3 pro? or just install 7.3 from CD's and buy the annual
>subscription?

If you have a fast internet connection, maybe the service would be better.
You'll have money going straight to red hat that way too.

>2) I'm building the machine mostly to be a server not a desktop setup.
>Basically a LAMP setup (although I need to make it FP extensions
>compatible for some work I do for clients). I need it to handle multiple
>domains and email although traffic is very light. I'd also use it as a
>SAMBA enabled storage area to hold files from winblows machines on a small
>network at home.

Should be fine for that.  Not sure about the Front Page extensions, though.
(Never looked into that).

>I was thinking of installing the basic system without the webserver,
>mySQL, PHP and mail programs and hand install those items myself...Kinda
>interested in trying qmail and using squirel mail to provide web IMAP
>access to my email (when I can't use my laptop or regular workstation).

Well, I used to do things manually, but the already setup packages work fine
so I dont' hassle with it anymore.  I used to run qmail and courier-imapd
and it worked okay.  Now i'm just using the stock sendmail and uw-imapd that
comes with redhat.  It works good, too.

>As gravy, it'd be nice to slowly start playing with X and remote X
>connecting to server...

I have four machines at home.  One that's a server, one that has linux
and remotes from the server, and two that run windows/linux dual boot. When
on a windows box i can access the server using XFree86 compiled with
cygwin.

>I thought I'd seen some past posts by list users who have similar setups
>
>or who do this for business clients. (Was that you Hoala?)

Yeah, Hoala is i the qmail and samba expert of the group.

--Ray