[luau] RH 7.2 vs. 7.3 questions

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Mon Aug 19 21:47:00 PDT 2002

On Mon, 2002-08-19 at 21:30, Ray Strode wrote:

> >1) Is it worth going out and buying the boxed RH7.3 set, or is it cheaper
> >to just burn a copy of RH7.3 and buy the yearly subscription? Is there any
> >difference? The demo software doesn't really interest me that much, and I
> >the included docs the last time didn't seem that different from the
> >previous version.
> >
> >Should I buy 7.3 pro? or just install 7.3 from CD's and buy the annual
> >subscription?
> >
> If you have a fast internet connection, maybe the service would be better.
> You'll have money going straight to red hat that way too.

I highly recommend using the free download version of Red Hat 7.3 and
buying the annual RHN subscription.  Why?

* 100% of your money goes to Red Hat, instead of retail middle-men,
packaging and shipping.
* Less pollution when you avoid packaging.  All of their documentation
is on their webpage anyway.
* Better value for you, because when Red Hat 8.0 comes out in a few
months, you can simply upgrade, and your RHN subscription continues to
take care of your packages.
* The extra software included in 7.3 Pro is of little value above the
standard version.  I think it comes with StarOffice 5.2, while 6.0 is
substantially better.
* It is far cheaper to buy RHN subscription plus the $79 StarOffice 6.0
retail box from CompUSA.  I hear it is pretty nice with manuals, and CD
installer for Windows, Linux and Solaris in the same box.