[luau] Massive Flash Plugin Security Hole

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Mon Aug 12 20:49:00 PDT 2002

On Mon, 2002-08-12 at 20:27, Warren Togami wrote:
> >                 Can you tell me how to install flash on Linux 7.1 or
> > 7.3?  Ive tried following the
> > directions but never could get them to work in Netscape Plugins.
>
> Red Hat 7.1, 7,2 and 7.3 actually come with the Flash plugin as part of
> the Netscape package, but it is a very old version that they aren't
> allowed to upgrade due to licensing problems.
>
> Not like the current new version is any better or anything.  It is still
> incredibly unstable and completely unusable for LTSP thin clients, while
> supporting only Flash version 5.

Oops, forgot to mention how to install it.

1) Download the latest flash_linux.tar.gz from Macromedia.
2) tar xfvz flash_linux.tar.gz
3) Find /usr/lib/BROWSERNAME/plugins/ where BROWSERNAME is your
browser.  Netscape, Mozilla and Opera for Linux work this way.
4) Move the two flash files from the flash_linux directory that you
unpacked into this plugin directory.  Do not move the flash_linux
directory, just the two files.  Might need to completely restart your
browser.