[luau] WineX rocks

MonMotha monmotha at indy.rr.com
Sun Apr 28 15:28:27 PDT 2002

They may be fast, but I don't find them to be the "absolute highest
quality" drivers for linux I've ever seen.  They've crashed X more than
once...heck they've crashed my KERNEL at least once (remember the
screwey HUGE kernel driver you have to load?...)  Quite frankly, I think
the nVidia drivers are the worst of the evils in terms of video drivers
for linux.  They ALL suck (at least all the vendor supplied onces, which
are the only ones that can do anything thanks to various companies
moaning and groaning about their precious IP.  yeah, like somsone's
gunna clone your card using your linux driver, I don't think any major
company with enough resources to do that would be willing to take that
risk).

The only drivers I've seen that I was actually impressed with were the
3dfx ones: fast as hell for the hardware.  The only problem is that the
hardware sucked, and then they were bought by the evil nVidia (who
INSTANTLY took down linux.3dfx.com I might add).  Basically you could
say nVidia has truely pissed me off, but unfortunately, they are
basically the only maker of decent (hardware wise) consumer-level 3d
accellerators.

Anyway, I'm done ranting now.

--MonMotha