[luau] Comparative Nvidia speeds

Jeff Mings jeffm at lava.net
Sun Apr 28 18:32:22 PDT 2002

    Actually, after Nvidia implemented page flipping in the Linux
drivers like the Windoze drivers have all along, one of the hardware
sites (tom'shardware or someone like that) ran speed tests and found
that Linux (I believe with RH7.2) was almost always faster than Windoze
XP on the same machine, and in many cases, as fast as Windoze 2K.
    I doubt that these comparisons were done "full throttle" which is
what I meant by "Linux has a speed edge over Win98".  I.e., when I turn
off all of the background daemons (sshd, atd, crond, the entire USB
subsystem, etc ) and run in TWM instead of KDE, I'm able to operate with
a _very_ lean OS and dramatically improve frame rates over my normal
config.  Of course, Win98 doesn't let you turn very many things off.
    And yes, I run a GeForce 3 TI 200 on my ancient but surprisingly
capable K6-2 550.

-Jeff

Do you have an NVidia video card?