[luau] WineX rocks

The penguin penguin at ryuhei.myip.org
Sun Apr 28 14:08:36 PDT 2002

yes I do have a nvidia card.
I have another question. when I compile my own kernel with AGP
(new for XF4.1.0) or the old one my linux machine can't go into init 5 for X.
Also wine doesn't
start.  if anyone has anyidea on what is wrong please reply.
I use redhat 7.2 kernel version
(2.4.7-10 and 2.4.9-31),PII 866,and nvidia GeForce2 MX.

Mings wrote:
>>     I've been playing Unreal Tournament on my Linux box for quite some

time now without WineX - I am fairly confident that the native Linux
>> build would be
noticeably faster than running the Windoze version
>> under  WineX.  The ability to turn off
any process I don't
>> _absolutely_ need  and use a bare-bones WM like TWM gives my Linux
box
>> a speed edge over  Win98 when running Unreal Tournament.  I'll drop
>> you an email
when I'm  planning my next LAN party  ;)

>> -Jeff
>>

> Do you have an NVidia video
card?

> The higher 3D speed in Linux is only due to the high quality NVidia
> drivers.
They are from the same code base as the Windows drivers, with
> a few Windows specific
features removed because they are not needed. It
> is mainly due to these missing pieces
they actually run faster than the
> Windows versions.  The NVidia drivers is the absolute
highest quality
> OpenGL implementation on Linux.
>
> While the Linux platform itself
would add some to game and graphics
> performance, the open source DRI drivers for other
video cards are
> nowhere near the quality and optimizations of the closed source
NVidia
> drivers. For this reason I don't think it is possible to have a
> non-NVidia card
run faster in Linux than Windows at the moment.

LUAU at videl.ics.hawaii.edu