[luau] WineX rocks

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Sun Apr 28 03:24:13 PDT 2002

On Sat, 2002-04-27 at 23:47, Jeff Mings wrote:
>     I've been playing Unreal Tournament on my Linux box for quite some
> time now without WineX - I am fairly confident that the native Linux
> build would be noticeably faster than running the Windoze version under
> WineX.  The ability to turn off any process I don't _absolutely_ need
> and use a bare-bones WM like TWM gives my Linux box a speed edge over
> Win98 when running Unreal Tournament.  I'll drop you an email when I'm
> planning my next LAN party  ;)
>
> -Jeff

Do you have an NVidia video card?

The higher 3D speed in Linux is only due to the high quality NVidia
drivers.  They are from the same code base as the Windows drivers, with
a few Windows specific features removed because they are not needed. It
is mainly due to these missing pieces they actually run faster than the
Windows versions.  The NVidia drivers is the absolute highest quality
OpenGL implementation on Linux.

While the Linux platform itself would add some to game and graphics
performance, the open source DRI drivers for other video cards are
nowhere near the quality and optimizations of the closed source NVidia
drivers. For this reason I don't think it is possible to have a
non-NVidia card run faster in Linux than Windows at the moment.