[luau] Database Presentation Info Needed

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Sat Apr 27 01:54:42 PDT 2002

This semester I have been taking ICS321 at University of Hawaii on databases
where we were forced to use MS SQL 2000 and Visual Basic. =(

Fortunately, I have approval from the instructor to do a short 20-30 minute
presentation on Open Source databases in class on Saturday, May 4th.  This
may be the only chance that these ~50 people would have to be exposed to
Open Source software, so I want this presentation to be effective.

I hope to show examples of MySQL and PostgreSQL, along with a few slides
showing the benefits of Open Source, effectiveness of OSS databases, the
languages like PHP, perl and python, and especially the economic benefits in
price.

On one of the diagrams will be a side-by-side comparison of MySQL,
PostgreSQL, and commercial databases like MSSQL, DB2, and Oracle.  I could
use some assistance in putting together this chart of key similar and
different features that these products support.

Any convincing arguments for Linux based commercial databases over MS SQL?
(target audience)

Any good Open Source data modeling and management tools with similar
functionality to MS SQL Enterprise Manager?  My presentation is currently
lacking some decent GUI tools and screenshots.  I don't want to scare them
with command line stuff just yet. ;)

Any other useful resources and tips that may help this presentation?

Thanks in advance,
Warren Togami
warren at togami.com