[luau] Database Presentation Info Needed

beesond001 at hawaii.rr.com beesond001 at hawaii.rr.com
Sat Apr 27 11:57:01 PDT 2002

Warren,

	I am not a database kind of guy... but...  I am aware that the "ACID"
intrusion detection project as well as Snort can be tied to databases to
log the packets that get sniffed etc. so signatures can be recovered
later for a analysis in both a machine readable and human readable form.
This whole package uses open source stuff (including the database) and
can be found at:

http://www.snort.org/

and ACID can be found at:

http://www.cert.org/kb/acid/

I don't use the database part yet because I haven't needed it on my LAN,
but I find snort extremely useful as a supplement to my firewall.

Hope this helps just a little,

Ben

On 4/26/02, 10:54:42 PM, "Warren Togami" <warren at togami.com> wrote
regarding [luau] Database Presentation Info Needed:

> This semester I have been taking ICS321 at University of Hawaii on
databases
> where we were forced to use MS SQL 2000 and Visual Basic. =(

> Fortunately, I have approval from the instructor to do a short 20-30
minute
> presentation on Open Source databases in class on Saturday, May 4th.
This
> may be the only chance that these ~50 people would have to be exposed to
> Open Source software, so I want this presentation to be effective.

> I hope to show examples of MySQL and PostgreSQL, along with a few slides
> showing the benefits of Open Source, effectiveness of OSS databases, the
> languages like PHP, perl and python, and especially the economic benefits
in
> price.

> On one of the diagrams will be a side-by-side comparison of MySQL,
> PostgreSQL, and commercial databases like MSSQL, DB2, and Oracle.  I
could
> use some assistance in putting together this chart of key similar and
> different features that these products support.

> Any convincing arguments for Linux based commercial databases over MS
SQL?