[luau] A Mission For Luau

Dustin Cross dusty at sandust.com
Thu Apr 25 20:13:42 PDT 2002

Aloha,

   I would be willing to help sort through hardware and build some working
systems.  I also have some 16 port 10-base-T hubs (6) and a couple 10-base-
T systems that can support up to 108 ports if we wanted to try and build
some massive parallel system.  10-base-T isn't the best, but it is free.  I
also has a room full of monitors (~20).  Sandi and I have an extra house on
our property that we use as storage.  It doesn't have electricity, so I run
extension cords when I do work out there.  We could store stuff there.  I
could run an internet connection out there if we needed.

I can think of three things we could do with these types of systems:

1. build usable linux desktops and give them away on a first-come-first-
serve basis.

2. use systems not suitable for desktops to make firewall/router servers
and give them away on a first-come-first-serve basis.

3. set-up a lab for luau members to learn and play or build a beowulf
cluster or something like that.  The problem with this is we need a
location.

I would really like to see something like the Luau lab set up for Luau
members to learn and play and anyone else to come by and learn, but we
would need a location and I don't think the termite eaten house on my
property would be good.

Dusty