[luau] Webmail for POP3

Yuser yuser at hi.net
Tue Apr 23 06:29:41 PDT 2002

Why IMAP?  IMAP has many advantages over POP3.  IMAP allows you to retrieve and store your messages in a standard format at central location that is accessible from
ANY mail client that supports IMAP.
Meaning...  You can use an IMAP server on your machine to store all of your mail.  You can read this mail with Outlook Express, Pegasys, Eudora, etc from any Windows
machine, you can use Squirrel Mail from any machine with a web browser to access it, and any of the various X-Windows clients and even with good old Pine.  All access
and manipulate the same mailbox.
With a POP3 based client you are basically stuck with a single client that retrieves and stores mail in a single location and is usually in a propriety format not accessible
from other locations, machines or clients..

As for Squirrelmail replacements?
Take at look at hotscripts.com (url may be wrapped) http://www.hotscripts.com/PHP/Scripts_and_Programs/Email_Systems/Web-based_Email/

and report back which ones you like!!  Although I am happy with SquirrelMail, I am interested in trying other ones also.

As for IMAP servers, I've tried both Cyrus and the UV servers.  I like the UW server much better.  I good method for a home user is to run your own IMAP server and use
fetchmail or something equal to POP in and collect all of your remote mails from any accounts you have.  Then use any IMAP client to read this mail from your local server.
 One thing to consider for long term useage..  It helps to have a machine to run IMAP on that will always be around.  If you don't plan on having a server or something that
will be running all the time for you to get your mail then it might not be a logical choice.  Unless you transfer the mail over to another format, once your local IMAP server is
gone, so is all of your mail and access to it.