[luau] Webmail for POP3

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Tue Apr 23 11:16:43 PDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Yuser" <yuser at hi.net>
To: <luau at videl.ics.hawaii.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, April 23, 2002 3:29 AM
Subject: Re: [luau] Webmail for POP3

> Why IMAP?  IMAP has many advantages over POP3.  IMAP allows you to
retrieve and store your messages in a standard format at central location
that is

I have to agree with his many reasons.  IMAP simply rocks, especially if you
have your home server.  My home server uses fetchmail to grab several POP3
mail accounts for me and my family, going through a SPAM filter then
delivered to the local accounts.  My family uses Squirrel Mail so I don't
have to maintain their mail clients, while I use Outlook Express in Windows
and Evolution in Linux.

Probably the best PHP web based IMAP client that I've seen out there is JAW.
http://jaw.sourceforge.net

It is the only client that supports UTF-8, meaning any language that uses
standard unicode is supported.  This is the only web based client that I've
found that works properly with Japanese when talking to/from Outlook Express
and Hotmail users.  Squirrel Mail and Evolution DON'T do this yet, although
KMail in Linux does.

Check out some screenshots here:
http://jaw.sourceforge.net/ss.php

The only drawback to JAW is that it is VERY difficult to install.  It
requires some configuration changes that break other PHP programs on your
server, and it requires the latest versions of PHP.  The latter requirement
isn't so bad because you should upgrade anyway to protect yourself from the
PHP upload exploits.  If you need customized RPM packages of the latest
version of PHP please let me know, and I will try to build them.