[luau] Webmail for POP3

Eric Hattemer hattenator at imapmail.org
Mon Apr 22 23:04:02 PDT 2002

There are a billion reasons to use imap, but I'm not email networking pro,
so I'll just tell you what I know off the top of my head.

Essentially, pop takes your entire user's mail file, moves it across your
server, then downloads it to the user.  Then it moves it back.  This happens
every time someone checks their mail with pop.  So you can see that if
someone checked their mail every minute, that'd strain your server.  When
the email client downloads the big chunk of mail, it can request that the
server either put it back in its place, or delete it from the server.
That's all the choice it gets.  Here at USC, there is a huge problem with
poorly written mail clients (eudora), crashing or dying while communicating
witht he mail server.  This causes the .pop file to get stuck as a temporary
file, and its a mess.

IMAP instructs the mail client to enter into the system and find the mail
files.  The mail files apear as directories.  The mail client moves around
through these files and looks up the entries.  You can edit these files, and
pull one message out, insert one, or whatever.  Since the client does all
the work, you can check your imap mail 100 times in an hour, and most
sysadmins wouldn't care.  Best of all, all the mail can stay on the server
(up to your quota).  You can make folders, and organize your mail.  Its a
great system.

On a side note, has anyone taken a look at www.imapmail.org ?  Its one of
the only sites I've seen on the internet that gives away free email through
imap.  You can sign up for other services, which are actually so cheap
they're worth the money.

-Eric Hattemer