[luau] Where's the Linuxconf* RPM in RH 7.3 Beta?

al plant webmaster at hawaiidakine.com
Wed Apr 10 21:01:15 PDT 2002

"R. Scott Belford" wrote:

> ugggghhhh.  I did not know this.  Linux without linuxconf.  How can this
> be?
> On Tuesday, April 9, 2002, at 10:53  PM, Warren Togami wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 2002-04-09 at 22:21, Wilson wrote:
> >> I just loaded Skipjack onto one of my workstations and cant seem to the
> >> Linuxconf* RPM. Does it even exist? If not then can I just use one
> >> from RH
> >> 7.2?  Thanks!
> >>
> >> Wilson
> >
> > LinuxConf has a penchant towards completely freezing in certain common
> > circumstances where config files have been edited manually.  It is a
> > fairly old tool that parses those config files quite poorly.  As a
> > result Red Hat completely cut it loose from their next distribution.
> >
> > Mandrake themselves are moving away from LinuxConf too.  That's why they
> > worked so hard on their DrakConf tools, that are TOTALLY awesome in
> > Mandrake 8.2.
> >
> > Unfortunately, Red Hat's equivalent config tools are a bit crappy by
> > comparison to DrakConf.  You have limited config functionality in text
> > mode with "setup".  (You can't even configure multiple network cards or
> > a secondary DNS server.  That's crap.)
> >
> > Red Hat has a bunch of new and somewhat buggy config tools that are GUI
> > only, poorly laid out and difficult to find.  Try "neat" in X to do more
> > advanced network configuration, and "redhat-config-users" for GUI user
> > editing.
> >
> > If you are in KDE, in certain cases when you click buttons in GTK+
> > programs like Gimp or redhat-config-users it may appear that nothing
> > happened, but actually a new window popped UNDER the current window.
> > This is a known KDE window manager bug. =(

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

RH 7.2 has Linux conf with it but you have to install it and
one other gdk file.

I found Linux conf on the Disks that I got at the last
Indtall Fest and had to add another file to make it work but
it now does. But I had to end up doing the network
configuration manually since the Linuxconf seems to add a
bunch of garbage into several of the files on Redhat 7.2
when you use it. Ray helped me through the problem.

I dont use KDE or any RedHat GUI on the machine I set up so
it makes problems. I use XFCE as the GUI which is very fast
and lean and is all we need to run the programs that we use
in the webcenter.

This was the first time I used RedHAt in years and it was
better than the 6.0 I tried before but they are going too
much GUI like M$ and I found it difficult to use command
line installing, but with Ray's help we got it up and
running.

 Aloha! Al Plant -Webmaster http://hawaiidakine.com
Providing FAST DSL Service for $28.80/mo.  Member Small
Business Hawaii.
Running Caldera Linux 2.4 & FreeBSD 4.4 UNIX
Support Open Source in Business and Computing. Phone
808-622-0043