Word specs were actually released - was Re: AbiWord 0.9.2

W. Wayne Liauh LiauhW001 at hawaii.rr.com
Tue Sep 25 15:44:25 PDT 2001

Yes, some, indeed most, of the "obvious" Word specs have been disclosed
by Microsoft.  But Microsoft has withheld enough of these specs,
especially when they deal with certain "important" features of
Word/Excel, that it is impossible to develop a fully satisfactory
filter.  Indeed, pre-XP version of Microsoft Office don't even open some
of the XP files very well.

Hopefully, the highly anticipated move (by Microsoft as well as almost
everybody else) into XML should improve the situation.  However, I am
afraid that Microsoft will bring an extended XML format, and we will be
in the same boat again.