Remote SSH in X?

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Fri Sep 14 11:52:33 PDT 2001

This method works, except your X session will be transmitted across the
network unencrypted.  This "plain X" method also requires firewall
configuration for those behind a firewall, and it is very difficult for two
or more clients behind a NAT firewall to use X at the same time.  Of course
plain X may be sometimes desirable on a fast LAN, but I still recommend
against it.

The SSH X forwarding method can both encrypt and compress the X data stream.
The data tunnels through the SSH connection, allowing seemless X access
without any firewall configuration.  Multiple users behind NAT can use it at
once.  The only requirement is SSH connections on port 22 to be allowed
outbound by the firewall.