Mandrake 8.0 Problem

James A. stroble at hawaii.edu
Tue Sep 11 02:09:00 PDT 2001

Rodney Kanno wrote:

> Hi
>
> Anyone using Mandrake 8.0 had a problem with software manager? Here's the
> problem i'm having...I start up the software manager and choose the updates
> only view. I select a package (rpm) to update and click on install. I then
> get a message that I already have that package installed, when I actually
> have an older version of that package installed. ex.
>
> openssh, trying to update to 2.9p1-3.1mdk. 2.5.2p2-3mdk is installed
> currently.
>
> Anyone else had this problem? How did you fix it?
>
> Thanks,
> Rodney

I know what you mean.  I am pining for Debian.
I had one part of openssh 2.9* installed so that not only could I not
upgrade, but ssh would not work. If I recall correctly, I had to use rpm
command-line to uninstall the offending packages (-e ?) before being
able to install the replacement.  Doesn't seem right.  And then there is
the automount on the cdrom drive that keeps the software manager from
finding it. ARrgh!
--
*  James (Andy) Stroble

Every strategical operation, or more classically, every methodological
aspect of discourse, involves a decision, one which can be more or less
explicit, concerning metaphysics.
				Derrida, "Limited, Inc."