VA Linux

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Mon Sep 10 13:29:21 PDT 2001

(repost because it rejected my message again)

While I'm am very pro-Athlon, I wouldn't consider it entirely their fault
for not making Athlon systems.  It would have increased their quality
assurance costs to be sure that they sell reliable Athlon servers.  The
chipsets, CPU's and related errata are completely different from their Intel
product lines (not any worse or better though).  There is also the fact that
the Athlon was very new and unproven for most of their company's post-IPO
days.  AMD did not have any CPU's or chipsets targetted for the workstation
or server market until very recently with their Palomino core and Athlon MP
processors.  VA Linux saw the opportunity and hired Appro to design an
excellent 1U super integrated server.

They tried... but they ran out of money.