VA Linux

W. Wayne Liauh LiauhW001 at hawaii.rr.com
Mon Sep 10 09:50:50 PDT 2001

One of worst mistakes made by VA management was to adopt the Intel-only
policy for its x86 configurations.  Since Dell is getting all the
exclusive breaks from Intel, no one can outsell Dell (not even HP or
Compaq, or Gateway) on Intel units.  (A Celeron workstation for over
$1,000?  Linux or not, they must be out of their mind!)

After Appro (a Korean company) bought the server technology from VA, it
immediately converted to and began promoting dual Athlon servers.  Based
on what I heard from those who attended the SF LinuxWorld, Appro is now
doing very well.

I believe it would have been a very different story if VA decided to
further develop dual-Athlon servers for now, and multiple-Hammer servers
in the future.