Audience targetting at ITEC

joel jijoel at lava.net
Thu Sep 6 17:50:09 PDT 2001

On Thursday 06 September 2001 02:26 pm, you wrote:
>     I think StarOffice is ok under windoze, but the Gimp is somehow not
> quite there.  I am a fanatical gimp user, completing quite a bit of work
> with it every week under RH 7.1.  When I installed Gimp on a win95
> machine, it seemed oddly slow, some of the feature appeared to be
> missing, and a few things just didn't work right.
>
> -Jeff

Mmmmmm.... Another fanatical Gimp user. Wahoo! I was hoping I wasn't its only
fanatic on island...  ;-)

The Windows version of Gimp *is* a bit behind the Linux version, is a bit
buggy, and doesn't have all of the features of the Linux version. That's a
selling point for Linux. ;-)

A Linux version of Gimp does exist, though, and it's a much better graphic
editor than paintbrush. I don't know this for sure (I don't use Windows any
more), but I'd think Gimp is better than *any* free or cheap image editing
program in the Windows environment. Comparable software generally goes for
hundreds of dollars.

Do you think Gimp's flaws in the Windows environment will detract from our
message (open-source software is as good as commercial software, see for
yourself...)?

--Joel