XFree on a laptop?

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Fri Oct 26 15:46:25 PDT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Roderick A Gammon" <AEG-Inc at hawaii.rr.com>
To: "Linux & Unix Advocates & Users" <luau at list.luau.hi.net>
Sent: Friday, October 26, 2001 9:24 AM
Subject: [luau] Re: XFree on a laptop?

> "During the beta period I sent information about my [HP notebook] hardware
> to Red Hat, and it should theoretically be working in Red Hat 7.2." -
Warren

> Upgrading from RH7.1 to 7.2 worked like a charm.  On reboot kudzu
recognized
> the Trident CyberBlade XP (also built in modem), then Xconfigurator auto
> launched and I set it up with basic HP 15" display.  Perhaps not fully
> optimized, but no complaints here, so far.

Wow.  I never got the onboard modem working.  They must have added that
after the beta too.

> Next up is the built in ethernet port and the Linksys WEP11 wireless
> ethernet card, neither of which work right.  Perhaps more on that later,
but
> I need to try a few things before bugging y'all.

The built in ethernet port was working fine in the beta with the "tulip"
kernel driver, although the notebook I was using was slightly different
(n5470 Athlon).  It had a slight bug in that it didn't reset the IP
configuration with "ifconfig eth0 down;ifconfig eth0 up", but I worked
around that by doing "ifconfig eth0 down;rmmod tulip;modprobe tulip;ifconfig
eth0 up;".  You could also try upgrading to the latest Rawhide kernel
package.  If you are using GRUB, installation additional kernel RPM's has
never been easier.  Simply use "rpm -ivh kernel-xxxxxxxxxx-arch.rpm" and it
will install and edit your grub.conf file for you.  You don't even need to
run grub again.  Make sure that you use -ivh and not -Uvh for kernels.  You
can always remove the old kernel later once you determine that the new
kernel boots properly.