Raid problem. Can't get bios to hold values or be detected in raid utility

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Thu Oct 25 01:00:15 PDT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeff Zidek" <z-man at hawaii.rr.com>
To: "Linux & Unix Advocates & Users" <luau at list.luau.hi.net>
Sent: Tuesday, September 25, 2001 3:42 PM
Subject: [luau] Raid problem. Can't get bios to hold values or be detected
in raid utility

> I bought an Abit KG7-RAID board and two 60 gig maxtor ATA 100 7200 rpm
> hard drives and I would like to one to mirror the second.  They are
> initially seen by the bios but upon saving the setting and exiting they
> drop off and are not detected.  I have tried every way I know to
> configure the jumper settings on the drives with no luck.  Any idea of
> what is causing my dilema.?  It hangs after exiting the bios also and
> only accepts a hard reset powering down the unit or I get blank screen.
> I am using a 900 Megahertz Duron that appears to be working fine.
> Anyone have any suggestions.  Jeff

Please read through the Abit Motherboard Forum at AMDMB.com.
http://www.amdmb.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=7
Most of the current discussion there seems to be about the Abit KG7
motherboard.  It may be that you need to flash your BIOS.

I hope you don't plan on using the onboard RAID controller on that
motherboard.  RAID 1 is only possible with the very problematic (and
sometimes impossible to install) binary only drivers for old kernels of
Linux distributions.  No chance of upgrading your kernel if using their
binary-only drivers.

Arjan van de Ven of Red Hat made open source drivers for the Promise
FastTrak and HPT370 controllers for RAID 0 only operation, but no current
Linux distributions will install out of the box.  The installation procedure
for this driver is very difficult and time consuming.  It took me nearly 8
hours of research and an extra harddrive to figure it out.  I attempted to
make a modified RH 7.2 installer driver disk for this, but it turns out to
be impossible because RH 7.2's anaconda lacks ataraid device support.