Raid problem. Can't get bios to hold values or be detected in raid utility

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Thu Oct 25 02:30:32 PDT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeff Zidek" <z-man at hawaii.rr.com>
To: "Linux & Unix Advocates & Users" <luau at list.luau.hi.net>
Sent: Tuesday, September 25, 2001 4:25 PM
Subject: [luau] Re: Raid problem. Can't get bios to hold values or be
detected in raid utility

> What is the most linux friendly RAID controller card?  All I want is
> miroring.  I hope buying the ABIT board wasn't a mistake.  Jeff

The Abit KG7-RAID is a very high end gamer's and overclocker's motherboard.
It is surprising that you choose that board with a low end processor.

If you plan on running only Linux on that machine, you can use Linux
software RAID 1 just fine.  It turns out that software RAID 1 is faster and
more reliable than Promise FastTrak and HPT370 controllers.  Unfortunately
if you take this path, you cannot dual boot into any other operating system.

I personally use the cheap FastTrak controller on my Asus A7V133 motherboard
(very similar to yours) for ultra-fast RAID 0 performance for both Windows
2000 and Red Hat Linux 7.2 in dual boot.  RAID 1 is not supported in this
configuration...

The only good ATA RAID controller for Linux was the 3Ware Escalade series of
products.  Unfortunately they are ending their manufacturing of these
products at the end of the year.  You can still buy them from many retailers
though.  Linux and Windows drivers are excellent, and these things have
onboard cache and an intelligent read/write controller that makes them
competitive to even mid-range SCSI RAID.  If you want low cost hardware
backed RAID reliability and performance, grab an Escalade controller before
they leave the market permanently.