Mixed network connectivity

Wayne Bow admin at stfrancis-oahu.org
Mon Nov 26 11:26:53 PST 2001

Aloha,

...and thanks for the reply.

> Let me see if I have this right...
> The laptop running Linux CAN successfully ping sites on the internet
> but can NOT ping workstations on your local network?  Thats really an
> odd one..

YES! It is..I thought I was crazy as it seems like pretty
straightforward network connectivity, if I can ping outside the LAN
with two seperate machines that coexist on that LAN. then the
machines should be able to ping each other. I'm not even asking for
name resolution!

>Can this Linux machine ping the local network side of the
> Linksys dsl/cable router?

Yes.
>I assume its the default 192.168.1.1.
Yes.
> don't know what this proves either way though.  It appears that
> traffic is obvisously getting to the router and passing as expected
> because you are pinging internet sites through it,  any packets that
> need to exit 192.168.1.x have to go through the gateway (192.168.1.1)
> to get there, which appears to be working as noted by the successful
> internet pings.  Have you tried something other then pinging?  Like
> browsing web sites from the Linux machine or trying to ftp/telnet into
> the Linux machine from the Win machines?

Shoots!  Haven't had a problem with any connectivity outside the
LAN. Browsed the web, sent e-mail, ftp'd a Netscape plug-in..no
problem at all (except its s-l-o-w due to CPU/Memory restrictions).
However, I cannot do anything over the LAN with the Linux box. I
can't ping it, telnet to it, FTP (server is running), HTTP (server is
running)..no LAN contact that I have tried has worked.

Thanks again for your questions. I have to be missing something...

Frustrated,
WB

Wayne Bow
Network Administrator