spt

Eric Hattemer hattenator at usa.net
Mon Nov 5 15:23:22 PST 2001

The file you want to mess with is something like /usr/X11/XFree86cfg.  It's
the configuration file for Xwindows.  It's a little complicated of a file.
It might be in /etc/X11R6, or something like that.  And it might be
XFree86cfg-4 or something.  I honestly don't remember.  In there, near the
bottom of the file, there's a line that mentions virtual screens.  Change
that line.  You're going to want to back up this file, because messing with
it could cause you to be forced into text mode.  Alternatively, run one of
the Xconfigurator things.  There's three ways, and I don't remember which is
best.  One is text based (evil), then one is menu based.  For the third, you
type in something like X --config, and it pops up an X session with a little
configurator thing, or something.  It's been a while, and I don't really
remember.  But mess around with those options.  Also, before doing any of
this, you might try ctrl-alt-+ and ctrl-alt-(minus) when you're running in
graphical mode.  I think these have to be the +/- in the num pad.  This
might change the screen size.  But it's a good idea to get used to
Xconfigurator.