LUAU, ALOHA, MPLUG, etc.

Jimen Ching jching at flex.com
Sat May 19 03:22:25 PDT 2001

On Fri, 18 May 2001, Warren Togami wrote:
>ago due to bad circumstances that I shouldn't go into right now.   This list
>is active now only because the discussion mediums (weblog, web boards) of
>the new groups have not been embraced by the community.

I am not surprised.  Most people I know that are subscribers to mailing
lists say they don't like web boards.  Those things take a long time to
load, are clunky, and not very intuitive.  The editor is so featureless,
we might as well use edlin.

This is the reason why I don't join Slashdot discussions.  I hate their
message board interface.  When there is a large number of posts, it takes
forever to load.

>How does everyone feel about using this list as a group neutral "Hawaii Open
>Source Community"?  We have been using this list as such for months.

I do not believe this mailing list is owned by Zach.  He does not decide
what is appropriate for this mailing list.  I have not yet seen anyone get
kicked off the list for posting an off topic email.

Also, unless something changed, isn't Linux open source software?  Does it
even make sense to say this mailing is for discussing Linux, but not OSS?
This mailing list has been discussing Linux _and_ OSS since I've
subscribed a few years ago.

I don't think most people care whether BSD topics are discussed.  But I
believe most subscribers of this list are Linux users.  So you might not
get as much discussion on a BSD topic.  I think this is why there are no
BSD threads here.  Not because someone said they are unwelcomed.

I am a linux user.  I want to join a mailing list where other linux users
hang out.  I have a wide variety of interests around Linux.  So I would
like a mailing list that caters to my interests.  I think a lot of other
subscribers feel the same way.

--jc
Jimen Ching (WH6BRR)      jching at flex.com     wh6brr at uhm.ampr.org