Hardware Recommendations for LTSP

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Wed May 9 01:42:06 PDT 2001

Thanks for the recommendations everyone.

Just one question...
This will be configured with the Linux Terminal Server with 100Mbit ethernet
in one port of the switch.  Thin client computers will be in other ports.
That will be about 60KB/sec of X data idle, up to 700KB/sec during moderate
activity.

Theoretical max for Ethernet 100Mbit/8 ~ 12.5MB/sec
Theoretical max bandwidth requirement for 23 clients ~ 16.1MB/sec

Meaning I could be in trouble.  To make matters worse I doubt the NIC can
reach 90% of the theoretical 12.5MB/sec.  Anyone know if I can kludge my way
around this problem with TWO NIC interfaces on the server, using two ports
on the switch?  For example 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2 are the LTSP
interfaces, and a quick hack to the BOOTP server will round robin either as
the LTSP server.

If this configuration works, then perhaps the Kingston 32-port managed
switch would be a good deal in order to get more thin clients onto the
server.

Warren Togami
warren at togami.com