Hardware Recommendations for LTSP

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Wed May 9 01:54:09 PDT 2001

The Linux Terminal Servers will have ATA100 software RAID 5 arrays, unless I
can find better hardware RAID support.  I'm avoiding SCSI to decrease costs,
and ATA100 RAID is great as long as you don't mind losing hot swap
capability.

I know some of you will try to mention the HPT-370 and Promise Fastrak 100
cards.  They don't have Linux support in hardware RAID mode.  Both companies
refused to give specifications to Alan Cox and Andrea Arcangeli.  If you
have hardware RAID devices under both cards, Linux will see all drives as if
they were single disks.  I haven't found any hacks around this.  3Ware has
an IDE RAID card with great Linux support, but it doesn't have RAID 5.

I'm sure that ATA100 software RAID 5 should suffice.  Probably going to use
Reiserfs too.

I am not concerned with disk failure due to the RAID 5 arrays, but I am
concerned about losing data due to crackers.  We need mass off-machine
storage for archives of all the user data saved in the home directories.
This may very well be 60GB+ in size, so we need tape drives.

Warren Togami
warren at togami.com