Hardware Recommendations for LTSP

Ben Beeson beesond001 at hawaii.rr.com
Wed May 9 01:20:48 PDT 2001

Warren,

	I don't know much about high volume tape drives, and I don't know  if
the cost is worth the trade off or not, but have you considered a RAID array???
 Perhaps you could mirror (RAID one I think) two RAID 5 systems with a hot
spare for less money, or even approximately the same cost, but also not have to
do all the management of the archiving...

	I also read an article in the Linux Journal where a university lab
built a backup gadget that used linux on an old computer to back up several
machines at night...    While this article specifically focuses on backing up
Windoze boxen  over a LAN, the principle may be valid for your use as well.
You may even get to skip the Samba stuff ;-)

The article can be found here:

http://interactive.linuxjournal.com/Magazines/LJ80/4360.html

If you can't get it, try to find the Dec 2000 issue, that's the other place to
find it...

Good Luck,

Ben