good parts

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Sat Jun 30 00:47:42 PDT 2001

For less than $1,500 you can get a top of the line 1.4GHz AMD Athlon machine
with PC2100 DDR SDRAM from MicronPC.com.  http://www.micronpc.com  In many
cases this system outperforms even the 1.7GHz Intel Pentium 4 that costs
several hundred dollars more.

Micron Millenia Max XP2 (customized on their page)
AMD Athlon 1.4GHz Processor (266FSB)
256MB PC2100 DDR SDRAM CL2.5
20GB ATA-100 hard drive (7200RPM)
16x48x Variable Speed DVD-ROM
32MB nVidia NV11 Geforce2 MX AGP Card
17in Micron 700EX (16.0in viewable, .26 mm dp)
Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live Value
SMC 10/100 PCI Network Card
Total: $1,437.66

All of this hardware is fully compatibile with Linux.  It should easily be
autodetected and configured during installation of recent distributions like
Red Hat 7.1, Mandrake 8.0, and SuSE 7.2.  Sound Blaster Live! should work
fine too, although if problems arise driver upgrades should be fairly easy
(just write to the list, I'll try to help).

Most hardware, both Intel and AMD now work fine with Linux with the
exception of Win Modems, HPT-366, HPT-370, ATA RAID controllers.  Promise
FasTrak and SuperTrak RAID controller support in Linux is very new, so it
may require a custom compilation of the latest kernels to work.  Some
motherboards with several older VIA chipsets have serious hardware bugs that
make them unstable or unusable with the 2.4 kernels included in Mandrake
8.0.  You may need to manually upgrade the kernel to use these systems.