good parts

John & Sheila Nickerson johnnick at pixi.com
Sat Jun 30 00:17:47 PDT 2001

On Fri, 29 Jun 2001, Eric Lauritzen wrote re:[luau] good parts:
 I'm preparing to buy a computer and/or build one.  Mandrake 8 or Slackware
 current will be my primary OS for this home computer.  I'm aiming to spend
 less than $1500, and as close to $1000 as possible.  I don't desire top of
 the line, I'm more after cost effectiveness.

 I'm trying to avoid a lot of complicated install problems or conflicts.  Has
 anyone built a machine lately that runs well under Linux and was easy to
 install Linux on?

 Am I pretty much safe with any intel or AMD processor and motherboard combo?

 I don't need top of the line video, but a decent balance between ease of
 configuration and the goodies would be nice.

 Are the soundblaster Lives supported well now?

 Am I save with pretty much any of the 40gig 7200 hard drives?

 Thanks for any advice or insight,

 Eric

 Eric,

I would check out qlitech.  http://www.qlitech.net  They make good qulaity
systems at a reasonable price.  They will install pretty much any distro you
might like and will configure it and partition it according to your wishes.

Good people to work with.

My point of contact there is Ray Sanders ray at qlitech.net.

I would buy only the minimun memory though and get the rest somewhere else such
as Crucial.com, RAM prices are just rediculusly low now.  You should be able to
get a good performing system for well under $1,000 plus monitor.  SAMs and
COSTCO have pretty good prices on 17" monitors and you don't have to pay a lot
of extra shipping from qli.

Anyway, my $.02s worth.

John (a satisfied qlitech customer).

 --