good parts

Eric Lauritzen lauritzen at hawaii.rr.com
Fri Jun 29 23:16:48 PDT 2001

I'm preparing to buy a computer and/or build one.  Mandrake 8 or Slackware
current will be my primary OS for this home computer.  I'm aiming to spend
less than $1500, and as close to $1000 as possible.  I don't desire top of
the line, I'm more after cost effectiveness.

I'm trying to avoid a lot of complicated install problems or conflicts.  Has
anyone built a machine lately that runs well under Linux and was easy to
install Linux on?

Am I pretty much safe with any intel or AMD processor and motherboard combo?

I don't need top of the line video, but a decent balance between ease of
configuration and the goodies would be nice.

Are the soundblaster Lives supported well now?

Am I save with pretty much any of the 40gig 7200 hard drives?

Thanks for any advice or insight,

Eric