rm command

Nelson Garcia garcian002 at hawaii.rr.com
Wed Jun 6 13:11:37 PDT 2001

Isn't it capital "R"?

Anyway, excellent point about being careful.  Just learn from my mistake...

A while back I was testing a webmail application called "vamp" and decided
that I wanted to delete it. The directory and subdirectories had very long
names such as vamp-1.2.3-xxx, you get the idea.  So I got lazy and used wild
cards.

Let's just say that "rm -Rf /va*"   is NOT the same as "rm -Rf va*",  you
can guess what happened...

What I do now is type "rm -R <path>"  and let it prompt me a few times until
I am satisfied that is traversing the correct path, then I CTL-C and repeat
the command with the "f" parameter.  Too paranoid, I know.  You could also
type slower.

Nelson.