rm command

Eric Hattemer hattenator at usa.net
Wed Jun 6 17:00:56 PDT 2001

rm -r means recursively, deleting files and directories
rm -R means recursively, deleting everything, including buffers and special
files.
at school our rm is aliased to rm -i so if I want to kill everything then I
type
/bin/rm -Rf ~/junk
But yes, since ext2 has no recycling bin or undelete capabilities, unless
you back everything up, be careful.  I'm not, and it's never really hurt me,
but it could.  I'm the type who deletes a lot of stuff carelessly and always
does shift-delete in windows, and so far has gotten away with it.  But I'm
lucky :).
-Eric Hattemer