Rant about Windoze

Wayne iw at ukulele.com
Wed Jan 24 20:48:17 PST 2001

On 24 Jan 2001, at 16:53, Jeff Mings wrote:

>      I have a windoze desktop next to my Linux portable, but it is
> mainly relegated to burning CD-Rs and running windoze apps.  I do
> virtually everything in Linux, so I of course use Linux apps like
> Quanta, which of course is free.  I use SSH as well, from Linux, and
> Mozilla for my browser/email instead of from Outlook (no visual basic
> viruses for me).  I am largely disappointed by the large number of
> linux enthusiasts who continue to use windoze when a preferable linux
> alternative exists.  For example, rather than using windoze to move
> things around windoze networks, I use the various smb utilities, and a
> wonderful app called linneighborhood that effortlessly finds and
> browses any windoze domain/workgroup.  I long ago gave up photoshop
> for Gimp (still haven't gotten the new 1.2 though), Word/WordPro have
> been replace by Star Office, and the same goes for Excel and Lotus.
> The only holdouts: I can't view quicktime files, and I can't proof my
> HTML in Internet Exploder under Linux.  I've also been too lazy to set
> up printing to all of our printers on my linux laptop.  For everything
> else, there's simply NO reason to even boot up in Windoze.
>
> -Jeff

How many people on this list still use Windoze and why?

I'm a Linux newbie and use it for desktop applications. I still use
Windoze for:

1. Printing. I can't get my Lexmark Z51 printer to work properly
under Linux.
2. I haven't been able to find a user friendly X-window Linux
database.
3. I haven't been able to find a suitable replacement for Pegasus
Mail yet. I've tried kmail, pine, mahogany, Netscape, and others but
keep coming back to Pegasus.
4. USB compact flash card reader.
5. I do a lot of design work with Corel Draw. Haven't tried the Linux
version yet.

alooooooo wayne ooooooooha for now.
iw at ukulele.com