Brand new to linux, firewall question...

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Wed Jan 24 16:39:53 PST 2001

This is all depending on your needs.  For example, do you want to simply
share a single cable modem/DSL connection between the computers?  Unless you
happen to have a spare old PC with two network cards its probably more cost
(and time) effective to use one of those blue Linksys Routers.  But then if
you have a spare computer, you could use the LRP bootdisk like somebody else
mentioned.

However, if you plan on running any server tasks, then you would need to
install Linux on that dedicated computer.  This will take a large commitment
of time on your part because you must learn how to both install and maintain
your system.  This entails keeping up with updates, security bulletins,
taking backups and other usual administrative tasks.  If this is your aim,
then I or many other people on this list could help to get you started.  See
this as a great educational opportunity.

Perhaps the basics of building a home firewall could be subject matter for a
future LUAU meeting.

Warren Togami
warren at togami.com