Brand new to linux, firewall question...

Edward Haddock debaito at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 24 16:55:32 PST 2001

Aloha,
   This would be an awesome idea. I would also like to
setup and run a Linux Firewall plus other services
using a K6/200. I currently use Freesco/486 for my
router and firewall but want to open that and have a
dedicated Linux Firewall plus web server etc... Would
be awesomne to learn some of this stuff.
                                        Edward

--- Warren Togami <warren at togami.com> wrote:
> This is all depending on your needs.  For example,
> do you want to simply
> share a single cable modem/DSL connection between
> the computers?  Unless you
> happen to have a spare old PC with two network cards
> its probably more cost
> (and time) effective to use one of those blue
> Linksys Routers.  But then if
> you have a spare computer, you could use the LRP
> bootdisk like somebody else
> mentioned.
>
> However, if you plan on running any server tasks,
> then you would need to
> install Linux on that dedicated computer.  This will
> take a large commitment
> of time on your part because you must learn how to
> both install and maintain
> your system.  This entails keeping up with updates,
> security bulletins,
> taking backups and other usual administrative tasks.
>  If this is your aim,
> then I or many other people on this list could help
> to get you started.  See
> this as a great educational opportunity.
>
> Perhaps the basics of building a home firewall could
> be subject matter for a
> future LUAU meeting.
>
> Warren Togami
> warren at togami.com

$subst('Email.Unsub')

=====
The ever unique, self-contained, all inclusive Edward R. Haddock. AKA Mr. Hawaii. Remember, I like what I say and I like myself when i'm saying it. :)