LUAU's rebirth

Jeff Mings jeffm at lava.net
Sun Jan 21 22:36:22 PST 2001

     I attended the past several meetings of LUAU, right up to the
"end".  I was at the meeting in the Manoa Innovation Center when Warren
"debuted" with dozens of questions about integrating Linux with Novell
and an entrenched Sysadmin.

   I like what Ron Willis is doing with the Linux business network.
It's great for Linux evangelizing and helping groups like the YWCA gain
exposure to the penguin way, but I'm not quite as altruistic as Ron, and
prefer meeting and seeing what other folks are doing with Linux to
helping schools and worthy organizations by setting up systems/networks
for them.  Although the perceived Linux base in Hawaii isn't very big,
there seem to be room for two missions/organizations:  evangelization &
community implementation ala Ron's group, and general info
dissemination/initiation ala LUAU.

   PLEASE try to avoid what caused the death of the previous group.
Steve McFarling, Donovan Chun and Gary Sublett put a LOT of their own
very valuable time into setting up meetings, but ended up doing
everything themselves.  Burnout on the part of these selfless guys was
inevitable.  If a new user group is formed, the leaders will have to do
a lot of work themselves or figure out a way to ensure/encourage group
participation.  Unfortunately, I think many are like me - I can usually
squeeze in the meetings, but generally don't have the time to put
together a presentation myself.

   If LUAU rises from the ashes, I'd almost certainly attend.

-Jeff Mings