Linux-related storefront?

Brian Farnell bfarnell at gte.net
Tue Dec 11 21:01:02 PST 2001

On (11/12/01 13:20), joel wrote:
> Do you think the Linux/Free Software community on Oahu is large enough to
> support a small storefront? (this would probably require gross sales of at
> least $4,000-5,000/month)
> Would you, personally, visit a local Linux store? (or do you do all of your
> shopping on-line, have no interest in Linux related stuff, etc.?)

Tough question, I think the answer to the question about large enough
community support is unfortuneately no. However, I think with some of
the things you mentioned possibly having that it could work as a
'linux-centric' store with losts of general computer geek stuff as well.
 I personally would buy alot more things if they were right in front of
me, its much easier to not buy that Perl Camel code shirt at ThinkGeek
when I have to whip out the credit card and fill out forms.  My
experience has been that subculture oriented shops tend to turn into
gathering places and people will usually tend to buy at least one thing,
before they leave. I used to go to one specialty book shop years ago,
they would have free lectures once a month, and go out to Dennys for
coffee afterwards...everybody got to know each other and so when you got
bored, you just go to the book store and you were probably going to meet
someone you knew.  We also bought our stuff from there even though it
was slightly more expensive.
> What types of things might you be interested in seeing?
>
> boxed distributions?

I'm on a dialup, I'd rather pick up reasonably priced burned isos...I'm
much more likely to buy burned CDs of 5 or 6 different distros over a
few months than I am to ever spend $60 on a new copy of RH or any other distro.

> Linux-related books, magazines, or videos?

I'm sure we all have quite large book collections that never stop
growing, I dunno about the feasability of keeping a decent selection of
books in a small store that has other stuff too.  Depends on your space.
 If you could only carry 15 title, say..then the ones you pick might be
the ones all of us already own.

> commercial Linux software? (Loki games, etc.)
I'm sure you could sell a few copies of games, hell I bought a new
videocard when I saw some of the Loki titles available.

> t-shirts, hats, mugs, mouse-pads, frisbees, Tux dolls, or other such stuff?
I've not seen a computer store yet that had some of the cool stuff I've
seen at ThinkGeek, I wouldn't necessarily stay linux specific though...

> Linux compatible hardware (with installation instructions... or maybe
> installed in the store)?
I think I'm much more likely to buy a piece of hardware, even one I
picked out from the linux compatability list if some who runs linux sold
it to me...especially if you provoded a small data sheet..not
necessarily completete instructions, but a few weblinks, known issues,
basic steps (ie you're going to have to setup this and this and this)...

> related toys & stuff? (like Lego Mindstorm sets, IBM's Linux watches, or
> Linux PDAs...)
All men love toys

> something else?

You ought to keep some eyecandy, computers running or doing cool things,
just to keep people interested in popping in.  MAME would be neat to
see, as would computer controlled hardware.  If you could figure ou
Xephem's function for viewing objects from the Hubble database, that
would be pretty neat, too.  Maybe on some of the neater, more difficult
stuff a stack of printed mini HOW-TOs? I still haven't figured out the
online Xephem imagee stuff.

Anyway, for what its worth, thats my two cents.  I don't know if the
market can support it or not, bit I wish you well whatever your decision.
Regards,
Brian