Linux-related storefront?

MonMotha monmotha at indy.rr.com
Tue Dec 11 18:01:15 PST 2001

I don't live in hawaii (wish I did :), but here's what I personally
would buy at a linux store:

*The Hardware - If you'll take it back if it don't work in linux (or
manufacturer will), that's a definate plus (this might require a deal
with hardware manufacturers thoguh to pull off if you want to sell
anything other thatn what already works).  As long as it's not marked up
much over normal retail price (maybe an extra $1 per $10 over normal
retail), and includes a manual, I think many people would be willing to
buy it, especially if it's stuff that's hard to find (older revisiosn of
hardware that were compatible, but new ones not, etc).

*Loki Games - I don't have time to wait for shipping!  Just make sure
you keep quantities *VERY* limited on hand because moving them in any
volume won't be easy.

*LinuxWare (clothing, mugs, etc) - I've always wanted a cute Tux stuffed
animal :)  Keep the inventory changing or you'll get into
"one-time-purchase-with-limited-audience syndrome".

*Books - Only the really good ones, might have a library (for read only
in store, or checkout) for stuff that's more special purpose reference,
but offer to order them a copy if they want it of course.  Some people
find it a hassle to deal with online book dealers.  Unfortunately in
this place, you'll be competeing with the local Barnes & Noble (or
whatever you guys have).

*Toys - Special order, but available, maybe with demos.  Linux people
tend to be the type who like to "try before they buy" it seems (since
they're used to getting everything for free :)

Above all, keep the atmosphere "linuxy".  Possibly carry some BSD stuff
too in a little section (the stuffed daemons, shirts, etc) and have some
generic computer stuff too.  Also offer to do customized pre-built linux
systems (with THE CUSTOMER'S CHOICE OF DISTRO, I can't belive how many
people only offer redhat!).  Make sure they get the boxed ver on these
so they get support.  Some linux people are software genuises but don't
really care enough about the hardware to build their own.  Again, do
these on a per-request basis, computers evolve to rapidly to try to do
prebuilt that people can just walk out with like a Compaq from CompUSA.

I really do think I'd frequent a linux store, if only to talk over my
latest coding/networking experiences with knowledgeable people.
Remember, it's a small store and you're caterng to a select audience, so
you can afford to get to know the people.  I would definately buy stuff
from a local store instead of online if they had a place to read (and
maybe some linux comps to try new stuff out on :) books and chat with
the local gurus in person.

I'm not a business person, just a consumer voicing what I think might work.

--MonMotha