Tricky mouse problem

joel jijoel at lava.net
Thu Aug 23 23:02:51 PDT 2001

Uh, oh...

I installed Mandrake 8.0 on my wonderful new machine. I think I must have
made an error somewhere, though, because my Logitech USB scroll mouse isn't
working in X. :-(

It worked perfectly during the installation process, but not at all since
then. I figured it may be a problem with the permissions (I selected the most
secure configuration of Mandrake), so I tried connecting as root. Still no
luck.

The X message log says this:

(EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/usbmouse
No such device.
(WW) Mouse1: cannot open input device

/dev/usbmouse does exist, but it's just a symlink to input/mouse0
/dev/input/mouse0 also exists, and looks like this:

 crw-rw----      1    root    sys   13, 32 Apr 14 01:06 /dev/input/mouse0

 Any ideas?

--Joel