Tricky mouse problem

Jon Reynolds jonr at ninestar.com
Thu Aug 23 23:51:11 PDT 2001

Joel, I had to setup my USB roll ball mouse on slackware but I can help you
out with what I did. so here goes:

1. kernel needs to have usb support and do not turn on HIDBP Mouse Support.

2.youll need to make a directory called input in dev "mkdir /dev/input" (if
not already a directory)

3. you have to make a node in /dev/input/     "mknod /dev/input/mice 13 63"

If you cat /dev/input/mice you should see some things happening on your
screen.

4. edit the XF86Config file you probably have XFree86 4.0 with mandrake 8 so
you will need to add an InputDevice section that looks like so:

Section	"InputDevice"
	Identifier	"USB Mice"
	Driver	"mouse"
	Option	"Protocol"	"IMPS/2"
	Option	"Device"	"/dev/input/mice"
	Option	"ZAxisMapping"	"4 5"
	Option	"Buttons"	"5"
EndSection

Finally you need to add an entry to each applicable ServerLayout Section.
replace the line with the "CorePointer" entry with the following

InputDevice	"USB Mice" "SendCoreEvents"

and that should work?

Jon