Stupid Network Problems

Hershberger, Robert T Mr (CPF N63RTH) HershbRT at cpf.navy.mil
Thu Aug 23 11:53:02 PDT 2001

Ok will get that up in about an hour.

RTH

-----Original Message-----
From: Dusty [mailto:dusty at sandust.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 23, 2001 08:18 AM
To: Linux & Unix Advocates & Users
Subject: [luau] Re: Stupid Network Problems

When you connect the linux box to your ISP can it get out to the internet?

If yes, then try changing the Linux ip to 192.168.1.67 (the win9x gateway
IP).  I am thinking that the defaultgateway (defaultrouter) on all the
workstations is still pointing to the windows gateway after you switch over
to the Linux router.

If no, then the Linux machine might not have a default route to your ISP.
DHCP should have assigned that, but....

Can the Linux box ping your local systems when it is connected to the
internet?

with the Linux box connected to the internet run 'netstat -rn' and send the
output to the list.  also run 'tcpdump -i <interface>' on the linux router's
internal interface and try to ping the internet from your windows machines
and send some of that output to the list.

Send th eoutput of 'ifconfig -a' to the list also.

Dusty

>   Ok Stupid Network Problem.
>
>   My network is as detailed in the attached document.  The top half is its
> present mapping, the lower half is what I want to transition it to.
> Presently I am using a Win9x Box as the Gateway, and connecting to the
> Internet using ppp.  I have everything working fine that way.  But when I
> switch the Linux Machine to act as the gateway I start having problems.
As
> soon as I connect to the net from the Linux machine, nothing works on the
> network, no machine is communicating to any other, nor are packets being
> forwarded to the net.  I have checked that IPV4 is active, i.e. I looked
in
> the setup files and apparently it is.  I have to make some gateway and
> router changes but thought I was doing it right.  But apparently no.
>   When ppp is running and I do a netstat command, the Linux machine shows
> ppp as UH with the near and far side IPs (resolved by my ISP using DHCP)
in
> the correct locations (sorry I don't include the output of netstat, I'm
not
> at home at present, and didn't think to get a copy before coming in, so I
> have to describe what I got).  The local network is shown UG with the
Linux
> Box IP (static 192.x.x.1) as the Gateway.  There are no gateway settings
for
> ppp, or the near or far side DHCP IPs, further the internet is shown as on
> the far side of the gateway (i.e. destinations of 0.0.0.0 are routed to
> 192.x.x.1).
>   So does anyone have RH 7.0 playing and can you detail the scripts I need
> to check to make the necessary changes, since some where among the soup of
> scripts I'm missing something when I switch the gateway settings.  I will
> attempt to connect the Linux box to the internet this evening (once I get
> home from work) and will post my trouble shooting results then, with what
> ever mods the LGs (that's ah, Linux Gurus) think appropriate, both a
before
> and after effect if you will.  TIA
>

> Robert Hershberger
> VOC: 808-473-0654