Stupid Network Problems

Hershberger, Robert T Mr (CPF N63RTH) HershbRT at cpf.navy.mil
Thu Aug 23 11:49:45 PDT 2001

  Well actually the only thing I'm changing is the gateway settings.  The
IPs for the machines will stay the same.  I chose the IPs initially with
this in mind, knowing that once I got the Linux Machine working I would want
to move it into the gateway position.
  I'm just missing how to get the Linux Box to forward packets and to set up
it's arp table correctly.  Somewhere in the soup of scripts I have missed
one that sets things up some odd way.  I have dropped my firewall leaving
everything open and attempted to 'face the net, also without success, so its
not a firewall problem.  It has to do with how the arp table gets formed,
and I don't know if some script somewhere is forcing some option.  Since I
haven't futzed with the initial setup scripts much I was hoping another Red
Hatter could boot me in the right direction.
  I also thought that having the original gateway running might be a problem
and shut it down, still no joy.  So I'm back to how things are setup.

TIA

Robert Hershberger
VOC: 808-473-0654
CELL: 808-294-2594