Unix Jobs

andersons001 at hawaii.rr.com andersons001 at hawaii.rr.com
Thu Aug 2 21:15:12 PDT 2001

Hey I support a military customer as a contractor and it is good work. We run
a number of Linux and OpenBSD boxes. There is a number of HP-Unix and Solaris
boxes that we also support. I built and support a RH 7.1 machine that has a
Terabyte Hardware RAID and  1GB RAM. What pleasure to work on such a machine.
Today, we built a OpenBSD box to serve as an intranet web server. The government
network engineer is totally sold on the ease and security of OpenBSD. We even
run TinyDNS on our OpenBSD DNS machine. When this mess with the redworm virus
happenend, the customer was happy that only Unix/Linux boxes are outside the
firewall and that all of our NT machines are behind the Solaris firewall. It
is a 24/7 support position so I provide support outside of the 8-5 work hours.
I wouldn't trade my job for any other job.
EDS is setting up a Network Operations center on the island for the Navy/Marine
Corps that will employ 200 folks. It may be mundane work, but I don't know the
details about those positions. It may be worth checking out.
Steve A.