Microsoft FUD Campaign (was Re: Does anyone on thid list Knows how to read spanish?)

Deven Phillips dphillips at viata.com
Wed Aug 1 17:16:39 PDT 2001

Warren,

	It doesn't matter if Ghandi was right or not. As Open-Source users, we
will always be converted and 'in the know'. That means that educated
computers users will always know. Microsoft would have to continually
fight with FUC and PR to keep Linux down. They'll keep it up for a
while, and when they realize how much money it is going to cost to fight
year after year, they'll either give up or they'll go under. Once people
are convinced, it's hard to tell them lies about things they know about.
It would be like me pretending to be a Wall Street banker and going into
a bar around 5PM in New York. The Wall Street guys would laugh me out of
the city!!!

We know,

Microsoft knows we know,

Microsoft is scared.

Deven Phillips, CISSP
Network Architect
Viata Online, Inc.

Warren Togami wrote:

> http://babelfish.altavista.com/
> You can get a rough translation with Babelfish.  Reading through their first
> three sections, some of their reasons against Linux are true, but much of it
> sounds like their FUD (fear, uncertainty, and doubt) campaign that they were
> doing when Linux began to get mainstream industry attention.
>
> First they ignore you,
> then they laugh at you,
> then they fight you,        <--- We are here.
> then you win.
> -Ghandi
>
> For years Linux was ignored and laughed at by the industry, including
> Microsoft.  When Linux began to gain attention by the industry and
> wallstreet, Microsoft began this FUD campaign spreading half-truths and some
> outright lies in an attempt to scare people away.  Recently, Microsoft
> realized that Open Source will be a serious threat to their monopoly
> position, because for the first time in history they are not able to buy out
> or undercut to destroy competition.  They are now fighting hard in a massive
> PR/lobbying campaign, calling Linux "Communist", "anti-American", "bad for
> business", "bad for intellectual property", etc.
>
> Let us hope that Ghandi was right.
>
> ----- Original Message ----- First they ignore you, then they laugh at you,
> then they fight you, then you win.
> -Ghandi

Sorry if the spelling sucks, but my laptop battery is runn....